The Gunlancer basically fulfills the role of the tank in Lost Ark, but it does it in a pretty badass way, with some big-hitting attacks and generally a pretty satisfying style of play.
You're not really a DPS or support when you play the Gunlancer, but rather this big, solo-friendly, beginner-friendly class that might just be the perfect fit for a brand new Lost Ark player. Here's our class breakdown.
We've updated this class guide to better reflect the two types of playstyle for the Gunlancer - tank support with the Combat Readiness Engraving, or DPS burst damage with the Lone Knight Engraving.
The Gunlancer is a heavy tank class that provides some shield buffs for your party, as well as by far and large one of the most useful skills in the game: a taunt. The Gunlancer also has a powerful shield that lets you ignore a lot, if not all, attacks - even those from bosses. This means you can stick right in the face of the boss, taking heavy hits (even staggers and knock-ups) while consistently doing damage. The class relies mainly on heavy burst damage with the Lone Knight Engraving or for consistent, sustained tanking with the Combat Readiness Engraving.
- Heavy tank character, one of the best, if not the best in Lost Ark
- Big burst damage
- Can soak up a lot of damage directly from the boss
- Slow, lacks mobility
- Pretty straightforward playstyle - you might find the 'sit there and eat damage' playstyle a bit dull after a while
- Has a backward jump rather than a forward dash (the spacebar dodge)
Best Gunlancer Engravings
The class Engravings for the Gunlancer dictate your style of play, which means they definitely have more of an impact on your playstyle than other class-specific Engravings. Like other classes, the Gunlancer has two: Combat Readiness and Solo Knight.
How do these two Engravings play out? How they impact the Gunlancer's playstyle?
In simple terms: Combat Readiness is for a tanky, shielded build, whereas Solo Knight is for a burst damage and DPS build. Leaning into the Gunlancer's advantages means that the Combat Readiness Engraving is the one we'd recommend for a juicy, powerful PvE build. It enhances your defensive abilities (shield) while also providing you with plenty of damage buffs. However, Gunlancer is a super-balanced class, and if you're looking for pure burst damage output, there is a very reliable DPS crit build using the Lone Knight Engraving to clear dungeons and other endgame content.
Other Recommended Engravings For The Gunlancer
Here are just three examples of other Engravings you could use while playing with the Gunlancer.
|Heavy Armor Equipment
Best Skills For The Gunlancer
This is a rough build guide for a hybrid DPS/Support Gunlancer, more of an outline, while we work on more detailed Gunlancer builds ahead of the western launch. It gives an overview of the different skills and their Tripods. This is an endgame build, but we will also work on a separate leveling build for the class.
|Weak Point Detection
|Weak Point Detection
|Spear Hit Enhancement
|Shout Of Hatred
|High Explosive Shot
Some important skills to keep in mind:
- Shout Of Hatred - This is your taunt and a key skill for endgame PvE with the Gunlancer. It's also a staple of your early-game damage while you're leveling the character.
- Shield Bash - High stagger ability that deals decent damage. These are required to improve your shield meter regen.
- Bash - High damage ability that stuns foes for a short period. These are required to improve your shield meter regen.
Here's a closer look at the Gunlancer's Awakening skills.
- Guardian's Protection - When you activate this skill, you recover 100% Shield Meter and release a protection aura of 10m around your character. Foes inside the aura take extra damage and are stunned. All party members take 40% less damage and are immune to debuffs and pushes.
- Lance Of Judgment - Summons a huge spear that deals massive damage and launches enemies into the air. Increases crit rate for +10 for all party members around you.
You can read more about what class you should pick in our Lost Ark class hub, or check out some of our other class guides below: